While we are not yet 100% GMO free in our store, we are moving in that direction. We label all food items in our store that are non-GMO to help our shoppers make their own decisions. We feel it is everyone’s right to know what is in their food. Our goal has always been to offer the best quality products to our customers at affordable prices. Visit us during our annual fall open house when we donate 5% of sales from the event to The Non-GMO Project! We label non-GMO products in every aisle! Look for the blue dot on our shelf tags.
What Are GMOs?
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) are plants or animals created through the experimental gene splicing techniques of biotechnology. This technology merges DNA from difference species, thereby creating unstable and potentially dangerous combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that cannot occur in nature or traditional crossbreeding.
The Ethics of Experimentation
Genetically engineered foods have not been adequately tested. It’s unethical to put an experimental technology in the food we feed our families.
Are GMOs Labeled?
Unfortunately, even though polls consistently show that a significant majority of Americans want to know if the food they’re purchasing contain GMOs, the powerful biotech lobby has succeeded in keeping this information from the public.
Over 80% of all GMOs grown are engineered for herbicide tolerance. As a result, use of toxic herbicides has increased 15 times since GMOs were introduced.
The US Is Behind: Other countries DO NOT trust GMOs. In nearly 50 countries around the world, there are significant restrictions or outright bans on the productions and sale of GMOs – we deserve the same level of protection and information.
- Look for the Non-GMO Projects verification seal on products you purchase.
- If a product you like is not certified, encourage them to get certified.
- Get Involved and share your opinion.
- Get online, research more about GMOs, learn about local and federal bills, and join the Non-GMO Projects online community (www.nongmoproject.org)
- Support your local organic and bio-dynamic farmers who use non-GMO seeds.
- Reach out to us, the Natural Health Center, and get informed!
For more information visit: www.nongmoproject.org